bam
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 13/07/2009
Halting site near Sandyford Hall
Date: July 13, 2009 02:02AM
Quick question...

I have been told that there is a halting site near sadndyford hall, could anyone tell me where exatly this is?

Thanks.

mwebb
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 03/10/2008
Re: Halting site near Sandyford Hall
Date: July 13, 2009 04:55AM
There isn't a halting site near Sandyford Hall. The closest one would be way down in Leopardstown (5 bay - small houses), opposite Bewleys Hotel, nowhere near Sandyford Hall.

There is a halting site (4 bay) proposed for land on the Enniskerry Road between Aikens Village and Belarmine. It's been proposed for a long time (you can see a big sign for it as you travel along that road). It may never be built, due to considerable opposition from local developments. Even if it goes ahead, it will be even further from Sandyford Hall than the Leopardstown halting site is. It would be technically closer if pedestrian access is knocked through from Aikens to Sandyford Hall.

But in my opinion nether the halting site or pedestrian access are likely to go ahead.

bam
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 13/07/2009
Date: July 13, 2009 05:00AM
Thanks for the info ...

dbpackers
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 23/01/2009
Date: July 13, 2009 07:26PM
mwebb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There isn't a halting site near Sandyford Hall.
> The closest one would be way down in Leopardstown
> (5 bay - small houses), opposite Bewleys Hotel,
> nowhere near Sandyford Hall.
>
> There is a halting site (4 bay) proposed for l
> and on the Enniskerry Road between Aikens Village and
> Belarmine. It's been proposed for a long time
> (you can see a big sign for it as you travel along
> that road). It may never be built, due to
> considerable opposition from local developments.
> Even if it goes ahead, it will be even further
> from Sandyford Hall than the Leopardstown halting
> site is. It would be technically closer if
> pedestrian access is knocked through from Aikens
> to Sandyford Hall.
>
> But in my opinion nether the halting site or
> pedestrian access are likely to go ahead.

Based on what? The reality is that we are a small (350 houses = 1,200 people perhaps?) estate compared to Aiken's Village/Belarmine (10,000 - 20,000 people maybe?) so I fear our opinions will not carry enough weight.

It will be interesting to see if our opinion (in an estate now in Council control) the pedestrian access will have the same impact as the influence of Aiken's Village/Belarmine (which I assume are private/Management Company controlled) over the halting site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2009 07:28PM by dbpackers.

mwebb
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 03/10/2008
Date: July 13, 2009 08:08PM
Regarding the halting site, my opinion is based on the fact they could have built it before now (when it would have had less opposition) but didn't. Now opposition would be considerable, and the council know this from their meetings with residents on the issue. It could still happen, as could the social housing, but I find it unlikey.

The pedestrian access is a different matter. It was in the draft development plan, but may not be in the final one. I think we need to make ourselves
extremely vocal against it, and remember that people power can get things done as was shown when Leopardstown Heights residents stopped the development on the Glencairn lands. Granted, they had to get very organised and millitant, but they got it stopped. Its also interesting that Hillcrest residents have resisted their road being widened too (which would also provide better pedestrian/cycle access to the luas).

I think we need to be vigilant that when the back green is reinstated that a proper walled boundery, as well as trees, bushes and fence in front of it, are reinstated, and any measures needed to prevent people scaling it are put in place. Such measures (e.g. anti-climb paint) already exist on the Aikens Village side of the wall to stop people taking short cuts. Its easier for the council to argue for access if people already use an area as a de facto right of way, which is why we need to prevent it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here