Garvan
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 01/10/2008
Primary Schools
Date: January 27, 2009 07:16PM
Hi all,

As a newcomer to the Sandyford Parish, my wife and I don't have a whole lot of information on the local schools. With a 1 year old we are wondering where to send him. Locally or somewhere like CUS on Leeson Street on the way into work!! Our decision is difficult when you want the best education for them but you also have to consider where the school is, how they'll get there (public trans, private trans, shoe leather, bicycle), what roads they'll have to cross and if both parents are working where they can go for pre and after school care.

So please, list any school anywhere and your experiences of each school including the school itself (academic and sporting), getting to and from the school whether by public or private transport and if they provide pre and post school care and any other comments that you think would be helpful!!!

I hoping that this thread will expand and expand. It's a chance for everyone to have a say....

Regards and thanks

Garvan

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 12/11/2008
Re: Primary Schools
Date: February 11, 2009 05:31AM
Probably not the most obvious choice but our kids are very happy in St. Patricks in Glencullen. This is a mixed gender primary school with approximately 100 pupils. It is currently a 5 teacher school, with 2nd and 3rd in the same classroom and 4th, 5th and 6th in the same classroom. I believe it is intended to be an 8 teacher school eventually.
It's about 10 to 15 minutes by car. I don't think public transport is an option as the 44B is very infrequent. The school has very good facilites and an excellent teaching staff.
The recent Three Rock Panorama magazines have featured profiles of the local schools, if you could get your hands on some back issues.

sunny
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 17/10/2008
Date: February 11, 2009 06:01AM
. As a Mum myself in the same position, I know how it feels not knowing about schools. St Olaf's in Balally is excellent - it is a mixed school (public). It starts from Junior Infants all the way up to 6th class. They have very good facilities with regards to sport and extra ciricurlar activites (they even have spanish lessons now for Junior infants!), and they encourage both female and male to do the same sports so there is no separation. The average glass size for Junior Infants as far as I know is 25 - 28.(That's what they aim for) It can be accessed by the Luas (5 min walk from Balally luas stop), by the 44C/44 bus - get off at Dundrum Road, and about 10 min walk from there. Parking not great around there as it's in a residential area, but always can find a space.

The Holy Trinity National School in the Gallops is also a mixed Public School, but as far as I know they currently take them up to 3rd class (there are plans in place for a school to be built). Don't know too much about it, but heard also it is very good with great teachers and good reputation. It would be about a 15 min walk from here, but I find Murphystown Road quite dangerous with the small paths or can be accessed by car.

Not sure if you want the names of Private schools but if u want them post a thread and will send on names.

There is also St. Patrick's Boys School in Hollypark Blackrock - a little outside the catchment area, but you could still get in if you write early enough. It's just off Newtownpark Avenue, but only accessible by car from here.

St. Theresa's School in Mount Merrion is also another option - It is a mixed school. Again outside our catchment area but could be worth looking into. The 47 bus goes from outside the estate to Kilmacud and from there is about 15/20 mins walk to Mount Merrion. The 46B bus also goes right outside it but that goes from Sandyford Industrial Estate.

St. Lawrences's Boys School in Kilmacud is also another school. It is accessible from here by the 47 bus outside the estate and stops right outside the school. It can also be accessed by the 46B from Sandyford Industrial Estate and also by car.

Hope all this helps. It's best to ring and make an apt to see the Principal of each school and they will be more than happy to show you around and give you plenty of information about their schools. Best of luck!!

Garvan
(IP Logged)

Date: February 12, 2009 06:29AM
Hi there,

Thanks for all the info. If u have some free time a list of the private schools would be great too. Although with the current climate we may have to pul in the reins a little!!!

Regards

Garvan

Garvan
(IP Logged)

Date: February 12, 2009 06:29AM
Hi there,

Thanks for all the info. If u have some free time a list of the private schools would be great too. Although with the current climate we may have to pul in the reins a little!!!

Regards

Garvan

dbpackers
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 23/01/2009
Date: February 12, 2009 06:13PM
My kids also attend St. Patrick's in Glencullen and I couldn't praise it highly enough.

There is also Our Lady of the Wayside in Kilternan. That's a bit bigger than St. Patrick's and not quite so out of the way. It's a mixed school. I've no direct experience but I believe it's a good school.

There is also a C of I school beside the C of I church in Kilternan but my recollection is that spaces are limited there, though again, it's a nice school. Also mixed.

sinbadw
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 18/09/2008
Date: August 06, 2009 07:15PM
I have one in Holy Trinity and another starting in Sept. The principal is an excellent chap and the school is great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here