Bigfoot
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 01/01/2011
Excessive development around Sandyford Hall and local area?
Date: July 09, 2016 01:27AM
I was having a chat with a friend from Mount Merrion who was telling me that the residents association were up in arms about plans to develop almost 200 new residences in Mount Merrion due to fears around traffic congestion, apartments not fitting in with the local environment and architecture in the area. Over 300 objections were submitted by residents against a recent planned development in the area.

I told my friend that around Sandyford hall, over 900 new residences are being developed. Clayfarm Ballyogan 410 units, Belmont 300, Belarmine Woods 125, smaller developments approx. 75 etc. He was wondering how an area could possibly cope with such large scale developments and were people actually happy with this? Got me thinking…

Have we reached a point of over-development in our own area around Sandyford Hall? Will further developments be detrimental to the quality of life in the area, traffic congestion keeps getting worse, green spaces are disappearing and the character of the area is changing as houses are being converted into high density apartments. If Mount Merrion have cause for complaint then have we too?

There is a house shortage in the county and I know Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council are pursuing what they call “ a densification” approach in Sandyford and Stepaside given our closeness to the Luas. However even our County Council agree that Sandyford and Stepaside have already undergone considerable developments (as stated in the local area plan 2016 – 2022) . When Clayfarm Ballyogan, Belmont and Belarmine Woods come on stream, I think an argument can be made that our area has reached full development density.

I believe that the Sandyford Hall Residence Association and other nearby residence associations should now actively be make the case that a) any further developments in the area should be reduced density developments that preserve something of the old semi-rural character of the area and ensure trees and green spaces are preserved where possible.

Bigfoot
(IP Logged)

Re: Excessive development around Sandyford Hall and local area?
Date: August 06, 2016 08:32PM
Just to add the latest high rise planning application in Belmont beside us is planning reference D16A/0511. 'Sector 3 will now consist of the following: 11 no. residential blocks comprising 243 no. apartments and duplexes (74 no. 1 bed, 143 no. 2 bed and 26 no. 3 bed units) ranging in height from 3-6 storeys;."

Deadline for final objections is 15th August 2016....

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 12/11/2008
Date: August 15, 2016 09:21PM
Another local high density development ... for those keeping count ...

Reg. Ref.

D16A/0547 Application Rec'd Date: 26-Jul-2016

Applicant Name

Ketut Ltd

Site at Lisieux Hall, Murphystown Road, Leopardstown, Dublin 18 (A Protected Structure)

Proposal

Permission for development at a site of 1.18ha of the overall 1.85ha Lisieux Hall site bounded by Murphystown Road to the North, Ballyogan Road to the South, Murphystown Way to the East and Kilgobbin Road to the West, Lisieux Hall (not within the current application site) in included on the Record of Protected Structures (RPS No. 1662) and is to be retained as a private dwelling. The development will consist of the construction of a residential development of 69 no. units on a site of 1.18ha, comprising 17 no. houses and 52 no. apartments (Blocks A and B ), as follows: 17 no houses ranging in size from 73 sqm to 209 sqm and consisting of 10 no. 3 storey 3 bed semi-detached houses within the Walled Garden; 5 no. 3 storey 4 bed terraced houses and 1 no. 3 storey 4 bed detached house along the western site boundary and 1 no. single storey 1 bed cottage at the entrance. Block A (2765 sqm gfa) is a block of 4 storeys plus a setback fifth storey (maximum height of 19.l9m) comprising 26 no. apartments (8 no. 1 bed, 16 no. 2 bed and 2 no. 3 bed units). A basement parking area includes 26 parking spaces and ancillary areas. Block B (2765 sqm gfa) is a block of 4 storeys plus a setback fifth storey (maximum height of 19.9m) comprising 26 no. apartments (8 no. 1 bed, 16 no. 2 bed and 2 no. 3 bed units). A basement parking area includes 24 parking spaces and ancillary areas. Permission is also sought for associated parking, hard and soft landscaping, playground (85 sqm), boundary treatments and all associated site and development works. A total of 92 car parking spaces are provided on the site consisting of 50 basement car parking spaces, 26 surface car parking spaces and 16 spaces in garages associated with the proposed houses. 4 surface motorcycle parking spaces and 100 bicycle parking spaces are accommodated across the site. Access to the proposed development is provided from the existing entrance to Lisieux Hall on the Murphystown Road.

Bigfoot
(IP Logged)

Date: August 19, 2016 11:15PM
With the Lisieux Hall application, it's 73 dwellings in a 1.15 hectare site. There's going to be a lot of pressure for car parking around Sandyford hall in future.. Think I might rent out my drive way. Deadline for any planning observations is 29th August cost 20 Euro.

Bigfoot
(IP Logged)

Date: August 19, 2016 11:25PM
Here's another new high rise development just submitted for the list, a proposed 5 story 81 bedroom residential care facility for Belmont. Deadline for planning observations 12th September. Planning ref: d16a/0558.
More to come...

PixiePop
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 16/04/2015
Date: August 20, 2016 09:37PM
What can we do about this to try to stop it?

Bigfoot
(IP Logged)

Date: August 21, 2016 09:21PM
I guess if people have genuine concerns about these proposed developments then they should submit their observations / objections on the planning application. It's easy to do and can be done online however it costs 20 euro.

We could also raise any concerns with our local reps.

Am new to this sort of thing so maybe some else could better advise?....

Murphystown Road Residents network on Facebook have interesting comments on the Lisieux Hall proposed development.

Bigfoot
(IP Logged)

Date: December 21, 2016 05:48AM
FYI - Council on 16th December granted planning permission to Belmont Sector 3 comprising 11 residential blocks from 3-6 stories in height of 243 no. apartments and duplexes. Belmont sector 3 is to be built on the waste land as you walk into Belarmine from Sandyford Hall.

Alot of residents objected to the increasing height of the apartment blocks to 6 stories as being too high and overbearing however once again the Council ignored Sandyford & Stepaside resident valid concerns and green lighted the development.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here