dcunnion@gmail.com
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 22/10/2013
Winter!
Date: October 22, 2013 08:20PM
Hi,

I am hoping to be a resident of Sandyford Hall in the next couple of months and was wondering about the condition of the estate during the winter months. Being so close to the Dublin Mountains does it tend to be much colder than the norm in the winter? I am wondering during winter time (especially if there's snow fall), are roads very icy and are there any difficulties driving out of the estate?

Thanks
Derek

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 12/11/2008
Re: Winter!
Date: October 23, 2013 12:36AM
During the extreme snow of a couple of years ago, I parked up at the shops to avoid the slight slope on The View.
Nothing like the problems getting out of Aikens Village or Belarmine! They're impossible to get out of in icy conditions.
I've never been stuck in the estate in 15 years, but never say never.
I have had a couple of close calls, slipping and sliding up the View, but I've always managed to get out.
The kids schools have been closed on occasion due to icy conditions around the schools, but that's a different matter.
There can be a cold wind coming down from the Three Rock, so walking from the LUAS can be a chilling experience.

peterc
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 16/08/2010
Re: Winter!
Date: October 26, 2013 01:57AM
During the bad winter a couple of years ago, there were some problem spots locally, but not specific to Sandyford Hall. There is a steep section of the Old Kilgobbin Road from the M50 flyover up to the crossroads with Leopardstown Road. That was pretty dicey during the bad snow - but the council appear to have installed yellow salt bins - presumably so locals can DIY salt/grit the road! From the Leopardstown Road M50 flyover up to the same crossroads is also steep - people were having problems there too.

To be honest - it was really people with rear wheel drive cars that were having issues. I'd say some enterprising local kids could make money pushing stranded beemers :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here