MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 12/11/2008
Garda meeting re: Stepaside Station Closure
Date: January 17, 2013 06:26PM
I attended the meeting called by Garda on 16 Jan in Lamb's Cross Community Centre. I didn't take notes, so this is a recollection of points made. Any errors or omissions can be corrected by others in attendance.
The meeting was called by Chief Superintendent from Blackrock to outline new policing strategy for the Stepaside area. Here's my summary of his points; the existing Gardai from Stepaside will be divided between Blackrock and Dundrum and will continue to police the Stepaside area, the vehicles currently used from Stepaside will continue to be used for patrolling this area, improved use of existing technology (CAD, GPS) will ensure efficient response to calls, Community Gardai to be reinstated (5 gardai, 1 sargeant), clinics will be held locally for form filling etc, get the Gardai away from administrative tasks.
Alan Shatter addressed the meeting. My summary of his points; Stepaside closure not his decision but decision of Garda Commissioner, not in his political interest but he trusts the Garda Commissioner, the station is owned by OPW and can be of use to community if Board of Management formed to run and cover costs.
Some of the local issues raised were ... local knowledge of Glencullen essential to respond to calls as GPS not available up there, response times from Dundrum/Blackrock will be longer due to distance and traffic, Station acts as a deterent to crime in the area, Gardai in the area build local intelligence.
Lettie McCarthy raised a couple of points about the mast within the station grounds and planning law, the demographic of the area with new estates needs a Garda presence, and when development recommences that Kilternan/Stepaside/Sandyford population will increase again (not a mature area like Dalkey for example).
Chief Superintendent promised regular meetings in the future to address local concerns and to provide evidence of continued policing of the local area. Lettie McCarthy said she is a member of DLRCC policing forum, so that sounds like the place to coordinate this information to ensure continued policing of Stepaside area.
Sorry for the scatter gun report.
If I have misinterpreted any issue from the meeting, please add your own comment in reply.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here