Pat
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 06/10/2008
Luas Pedestrian Access
Date: October 06, 2008 09:03PM
HEllo Everyone smiling smiley

I attended the Residents Association AGM last year and it was mentioned that Belarmine and the Aiken estates were looking for access into our estates as a shortcut to the Luas and the Sandyford Estate.

It was also said there is a new development proprosed and that a cycleway was to be built with access to Fernleigh Estate and thus into ours.

My concern is that with the LUAS upgrade coming up here, is there a stronger case for more access for the above estates into ours?

This also bring in other concerns as regards as security and vandalism which will inevitable with the increase in foot traffic through our estate

Thats all for now

dbpackers
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 23/01/2009
Re: Luas Pedestrian Access
Date: January 24, 2009 12:21AM
The more I think about it the more I wish we'd kept the Council out and had the estate transferred to a Management Company. It'd be harder (though not impossible of course) for the Council to interfere at will with our home area. (It might also be easier to get some of the non-resident landlords to pull their weight and not lower the tone of everyone else's houses due to their lack of maintenance.)

Its not our fault that the marketeers behind Belarmine and Aiken's Village promised the Luas closeby. Nor is it our fault that those who bought on that basis were so easily duped. The trend for cul-de-sac estates was for a reason, and a good one at that. All of this through traffic, even if it is pedestrian, threatens the very nature of our area.

Garvan
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 01/10/2008
Date: January 27, 2009 07:26PM
HI,

I would have to agree. Although I don't live in a cul de sac part of the estate I did in a previous house. It was a new build and while under the control of the builder they experimented with a walk through and a no walk through. I can whole-heartedly support the "no walk through option". It was quieter all day and night, people living just on the far side weren't parking there cars outside my house and the litter was noticeably lighter!!

Sod Belarmine and Aikens Village. The nature of those builds is predominantly for first time buyers and the people turnover there will be high whereas residents in Sandyford Hall as most likely long-termers!!

Resist it if you (we) can!!!!

Garvan

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 12/11/2008
Date: February 11, 2009 05:48AM
While I have reservations about pedestrian access into Aiken's Village (access to the green for strangers and kids ability to roam), I think the issue for Luas will be parking within the estate. Commuters may use SH as a car park and that would present a greater risk to safety in general.
I think it's fair to allow pedestrian access to encourage use of a public asset by as many people as can use it.
Anyway the more intrepid from Aiken's Village already scale the walls as a shortcut.

dbpackers
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 23/01/2009
Date: February 12, 2009 06:07PM
I acknowledge the point about encouraging use of public transport. But Belarmine already has access via Kilgobbin Lane. Yes it's a slightly longer walk, but think of the health benefits winking smiley. Perhaps they'd like the Luas moved a bit closer so they don't get cold on a winter morning. Access for Aikens Village could be via the front of that appartment block near the crossroads.

But why should the interests of Belarmine/Aikens be placed above ours. Just because a facility exists in a particular spot doesn't mean that direct access has to be bulldozed via whomever happens to be in the way. Sometimes you just have to go around.

I suppose my concern is particular to those of us at the back of the estate. The back green has always been a peaceful and quiet place. Very safe for our kids to play on. Access from Belarmine/Aiken's Village, even if only Pedestrian, will destroy that. The footfall on the way to the Luas/shops will be quite large I suspect. The green could turn into a big open litterstrewn space.

Bottom line, I don't care about Belarmine/Aiken's residents saving a few minutes on the way to the Luas. They do have access and for the benefit of my home and my kids I want them to walk the extra few hundred yards around.

sandyford hall avenue
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 10/02/2009
Date: February 12, 2009 08:09PM
hear hear to above

there is no nimby ('not in my back yard') issue here,

if you chose to buy near any green you mostly had to borrow extra from the bank as a green will always have been factored into the house price.

Why should a resident who does not ask the state to house them feel guilty about stating what is important in the supremely important duty of care to their children's wellbeing or their neighbour's children.

Unfortunately this pedestrian opening may be in the approved 'plan' but hey plans change.. as we are being told a lot at the moment ('unchartered waters')

the estate is very large (lots of votes...)and it is natural that a resident looking at the coming Kilgobbin road expansion is not going to be much concerned with rear green issues...Goodness knows they might even be tempted to horse trade estate issues with the Council...

personally speaking I believe if you want the rear green to remain as it was 2 years ago take a look at what happened in Mount Eagle and Ferncarrig estates when residents mobilised themselves against 1. a high rise tower and 2. the then aim to drive a road out of Aiken's village through Ferncarrig.......

webmaster
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 10/11/2008
Date: March 10, 2009 05:58AM
Map of the new Pedestrian and Cycle route from Aiken’s Village to Sandyford Hall Estate (and Ferncarrig). This will also provide access from Belarmine, and the proposed Halting Site and Social Housing.

View Larger Map

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2009 06:06AM by webmaster.

Pat
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 06/10/2008
Date: April 17, 2009 05:28AM
With regards to the map of the proposed route

Will there be a general meeting of the resident association anytime soon, to decide if people wish to have acccess to the LUAS throught our estate ?

No one has commented on this one way or the other !

I think its about time we woke and expressed and opinion on this before it become an accomplished fact.

Personally I'm against it for reasons I've already given.

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date: April 24, 2009 05:38AM
I don't believe this has made the agenda of the Residents Association meetings. Email sandyfordhall@gmail.com to get it discussed at the next meeting in June. Now would be the perfect time to harangue sitting and potential councillors to find out where the progress on this pathway currently stands.

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date: April 30, 2009 06:35AM
Here may be an opportunity to lodge an objection to proposed access. If it is mentioned in the Draft Development Plan for 2010 to 2016 then it must not be a done deal yet.

The following quote is from [www.dlrcoco.ie]

"To ensure the provision of a combined pedestrian footpath/cycleway
(greenway) connection between Aiken’s Village and Sandyford Hall to improve
overall local permeability and to facilitate direct access from new residential
communities to the Luas Line B1 public transport corridor."

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date: May 22, 2009 03:53AM
I've just been to see the DLR draft development plan for 2010 to 2016. The pedestrian entrance is marked, at the border of Sandyford Hall and Fernleigh as shown on the map above. The entrance also featured in the 2004 to 2010 plan.

Submissions on the plan can be made up to July 3rd, 2009, either in writing, by email or through the website www.dlrcoco.ie

mwebb
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 03/10/2008
Date: May 22, 2009 09:43AM
I would be concerned about the safety of the proposed link between the estates. The new path on the Aiken’s Village side will be 150 meters long with an 8ft wall running the length of one side. It’ll be out of sight of houses and apartments. On our side you have another 30m of hedgerow running beside. Sounds like a long dodgy laneway, unlike anything currently in Aikens or here.

webmaster
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 10/11/2008
Date: June 19, 2009 02:20AM
PEDESTRIAN ACCESS POLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: June 18, 2009 07:18PM
The DLR draft development plan for 2010 to 2016 has earmarked a laneway linking our estate with Aikens village.

This issue has been discussed at length on the forum and to get an idea of what residents in the estate think, a Poll has been put up on the front-page where people can vote on it.

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council has stated the following reason for this access:
"To ensure the provision of a combined pedestrian footpath/cycleway
(greenway) connection between Aiken’s Village and Sandyford Hall to improve
overall local permeability and to facilitate direct access from new residential
communities to the Luas Line B1 public transport corridor."

Accordingly any submissions or objections have to be made before the 3rd of July.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here