peterc
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 16/08/2010
state of the estate
Date: August 27, 2011 09:52AM
Hi all,

the previous post to this suggested we should make sure surrounding grass verges are in good shape to improve the general appearance of the neighbourhood. I totally agree and thanks for the post.

But it made me realise we have a much worse problem which is the state of the paintwork of many of the houses.

First off - I completely include myself in this - my house has a square-foot-sized bald patch on the front. Many others have similar bald patches and/or need to be completely repainted.

So what to do? In my case is there any way to patch it up ? It's a small area so in principle all I need is a ladder and some paint - but I have no idea what color it is and whether any pretreatment is required (surrounding the bald patch the paint is cracked/bubbled/peeling). And for others with worse paint? It costs a lot of money to get the whole thing repainted!

Well - just thought I'd throw it out there and see what others think and if anyone has any suggestions. I wonder is there any way to get external (council?) funding to help. Wishful thinking but anyway...

thanks!
Peter

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 12/11/2008
Re: state of the estate
Date: August 30, 2011 07:03AM
I think "magnolia" is the generally accepted colour for the original painting of the estate. With repainting since then, you can see the full range of magnolias on offer! Quite a few have gone for a more yellow than magnolia colour.
I painted my own house once. I powerhosed down the walls to clean off the grime and then just used regular magnolia exterior paint. It lasted well enough. I had the house repainted 3 years ago and with the recent winters, I'd say I'll need to paint it again next summer.
If you just wanted to paint the front facing wall then a 5 litre tub of Woodies magnolia exterior paint should do the trick. I would scrap off any blistered paint first and give the surface a powerhose wash down (you'll be amazed at the dirt that comes off).
Some neighbours have described using a sealant first, but I didn't bother so I can't comment on the effectiveness of that.

Rob
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 23/06/2009
Date: September 04, 2011 03:02AM
Hi

The original colour is Oatmeal in the Sandtex range. I have used sealent both times I painted my house and it does help. I usually need to paint it every 8 years which is not too bad.

peterc
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 16/08/2010
Date: September 14, 2011 02:56AM
Thanks Rob!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here