webmaster
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 10/11/2008
Neighbourhood Watch
Date: February 19, 2009 08:34AM
There is a Neighbourhood Watch meeting being held this Saturday 21st Feb at 12.30 pm in the Sandyford Community Centre.

I advise anybody who has a vested interested to please attend.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 09:45PM by webmaster.

Chair
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 25/11/2008
Re: Neighbourhood Watch meeting (Sat 12:30, Sandyford Community centre)
Date: February 19, 2009 07:22PM
This is an Initial Kick off meeting for the formation of a "Neighbourhood Watch" scheme in the estate, so if you're interested please come along. The purpose ofthe meeting is to get an indication of the level of interest and to have a general discussion. The meeting will be addressed by a Garda from Stepaside.

The Sandyford Community Centre is the former Library beside the School at Lambscross.

Regards
Declan

MartinL
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 12/11/2008
Date: February 27, 2009 06:57AM
This was a very useful meeting, however, it was quite a poor turnout. This is either general apathy or we're not overly affected by crime and anti-social behaviour in the estate.
While I support the idea of looking out for each other, I would question whether the meeting was a mandate to form a Neighbourhood Watch committee.

mwebb
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 03/10/2008
Date: February 28, 2009 12:00AM
Unfortunately I was unable to make it to the meeting. However, I don’t see the need for a ‘mandate’ when it comes to a valuable community service. Also, as is often the case, many people only become interested in such an initiative, when it directly effects them (e.g. when THEIR car is vandalised or graffiti is sprayed on THEIR walls).

I don’t believe we have a serious crime problem on the estate. But it’s important that we keep it that way. I think that a neighbourhood watch committee is a good information link between the residents and Gardai. Most people won’t contact the police for minor anti-social behaviour, but they may inform the committee, who in turn can gather and present the info to the relevant authorities.

Just last night I walked past 4 teenagers drinking alcohol, walking up SH Park. And there is usually a gang of them that congregate behind the bushes near xtravision. The graffiti is being caused by the kids (many of their parents may visit this board). But I’m really concerned about car break-ins and the like.

When the Luas opens in 2010 we are going to see a much higher throughput of people in our estate from elsewhere. If we let any sort of crime or anti-social behaviour go undocumented/unreported we are only storing more problems for ourselves in future.

bam
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 13/07/2009
Re: Neighbourhood Watch (Alarms)
Date: January 02, 2010 05:03AM
I have noticed over the month of December there has been a lot of house alarms going off in particular the crescent area, With the Neighbourhood watch topic in mind I would like to suggest that neighbours pass contact numbers for emergency purposes to each other so that contact can be make when necessary. thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 05:04AM by bam.

butler
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 14/08/2009
Re: Neighbourhood Watch
Date: January 03, 2010 12:44AM
Thats a good idea. Apart from faulty alarm systems, I've heard that some burglars will intentionally set off alarms in houses (hitting external windows or doors) numerous times in the days before a burglary in the hope owners will just leave the alarm off cos its a nuisance. Its always best to check a nearby house if you hear an alarm going off and call the Gardai. If its a faulty system, having the Gardai turn up will give the owners an incentive to get it fixed.

I think there is also a law that limits the amount of time an alarm can ring before it becomes an offence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here